Get a Job Well Done today. Pay over 1,2,3 years

Common Garden Plants That Are Toxic to Pets

We love our pets and our plants, but some common garden greenery could cause a whole heap of harm to your beloved furry friend. So, here are a few plants to remove to keep your pets safe and sound.


There are many species of philodendron commonly found in Australian backyards. But perhaps the most common is the philodendron selloum (previously known as the philodendron hope). These towering tropical tree-climbers can grow several metres high, and many metres wide, and typically sport gigantic fenestrated leaves.

Sadly, all parts of this plant are toxic to pets, and can irritate the mouth and digestive tract, as well as cause vomiting and oral swelling.


If you have a shaded, damp area in your backyard, you might have tradescantia growing. Tradescantia creeps and climbs, and comes in a myriad of different colours, with the most common backyard variety appearing solid green.

Thankfully, it is unlikely that tradescantia will cause major issues for your pet. But its sap, foliage and stems can cause severe skin irritation when touched.


Hydrangeas are extremely popular, adding a dash of colour to many Australian backyards. They typically feature sphere-like clusters of flowers, sitting against bright green foliage, and are available in a range of colours—from white and blue, to hot pink, purple, and yellow.

The leaves, flowers, and buds of hydrangeas are toxic to pets, and when ingested, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and confusion.


Lilies are collectible, and often displayed proudly by seasoned gardeners. But did you know that certain types of lilies are highly toxic to pets? In fact, lilies are so toxic, that simply drinking water from a vase containing lilies can kill your beloved furry friend. Brushing against a lily and ingesting a tiny amount of pollen can also cause severe kidney damage, and even death. So, although lilies are easy on the eyes, it’s best to leave them at the nursery.


Best known for their popularity in The Netherlands, tulips are a well-loved pick for many Aussies, both in the backyard, and in the vase. But tulips are definitely a no-go when it comes to our pets. All parts of a tulip are toxic, but the bulb is by far the worst. If your furry friend gets a hold of one, they’re likely to vomit, drool, and may have a bout of diarrhea.

Note: this is not a complete list of toxic plants. Complete further research or consult your local vet for more information.

Is your backyard riddled with tradescantia, or spotted with hydrangeas? Here at Local Expert, we can help keep your furry friend safe by removing toxic plants from your property.

Are you eager to get your renovation started?

Our trusted Local Expert professional builders are standing by.

Click here to learn more or request a quote today!

Are you a business owner looking to build your service?

Apply now and become part of the Local Expert team today.

More articles from our Blog:

Book Now